Texto do anúncio
The IMPLAMAC Project (MAC2/1.1a/265) aims to create an observatory that generates quantitative and qualitative data of the impact that microplastics and different pollutants have on the beaches of the archipelagos of the Canary Islands, Cape Verde, Madeira and Azores. To this end, a program to monitor microplastics and different pollutants in sand and water on the beaches of the four archipelagos will be developed, which shows the degree of existing contamination and its evolution. Studies of the incidence of microplastics in some types of fish and their effect on trophic chains and ecosystems will also be carried out. The project also contemplates contributing to the improvement of public knowledge regarding plastics contamination, including raising public awareness, carrying out important dissemination, training and environmental education actions on the marine areas of the four archipelagos
Within the scope of the project, OOM-ARDITI is looking for Marine Biologist (Master level) or equivalent with expertise in fish gut content analysis; scientific scuba diving and underwater sampling. Knowledge on benthic communities is also expected.
The candidate is expected to develop and optimize tools for detection of microplastics in commercial fish guts and other non-digestive tissues. Also, the candidate will be responsible for the collection of samples regarding marine environmental monitoring of aquaculture sites. Benthic, visual and chemical surveys will contribute to evaluate the environmental descriptors regarding microplastics and pollutants for the aquaculture industry.
The successful candidate will join the aquaculture research group, an interdisciplinary team with the following research topics: aquaculture species diversification, multitrophic integrated aquaculture, environmental impact of aquaculture; marine spatial planning. It is expected that the candidate will collaborate in the different activities of the team.
- Lab work: fish dissection and chemical analysis
- Selection of environmental parameters impacting on marine environment regarding pollutants
- Data analysis and reporting
- Scuba diving and Underwater Sampling
The ideal candidate will have a master’s degree in marine biology (or other related field), with experience in the following areas:
- Fish dissection
- Basic knowledge of biochemical determinations in biological samples
- Scuba diving
- Benthic species collection methods and taxonomy identification
- Data collection and handling databases
- Proficiency in Portuguese and Spanish languages for communication with stakeholders and partners (required).
- Fluent in English for reports and scientific outputs
- Driver license
- Perform literature search related with specific topics;
- Fish Dissection
- Biochemical determinations (eg.Proteins and lipids)
- Microplastics sorting
- Environmental Impact parameters, including sorting of benthic samples
- Data management;
- Report elaboration;
- Participate on the writing of scientific papers.
Scientific guidance and workplace
The work will be coordinated by Natacha Nogueira and Ignacio Gestoso. The workplace will be the Mariculture Center of Calheta, but the candidate is expected to perform sampling in the Fisheries Lab, located in Funchal, as well as in the fish farms located in Calheta and Caniçal. It will be the candidate’s responsibility to guarantee transportation to and from the workplace.
The successful candidate is expected to join the team by 01st February 2020. The contract will be for 12 months, eventually renewable.
€989,70 (Master Degree Grant) free of taxes; ARDITI master degree stipend, and regulations
are determined by ARDITI.
The following evaluation criteria will be applied:
FS = QA + EP + IN
FS – Final Score
QA – Qualifications
EP – Experience
Top candidates may be invited for an interview (in person or remotely) if QA + EP scoring has a maximum difference of 1 point.
- 5 points – Degree in Marine Biology (or related field of study)
- 4 points- Experience in fish dissection and gut content analysis
- 3 points- Experience of biochemical determinations (eg. Proteins and lipids) in biological samples
- 2 points- Experience in benthic species identification
- 2 points- Experience in field sampling methodologies in the marine environment
- 1 point- Experience in scuba diving
- 1 points- Experience with data management (e.g. abundance, distribution and diversity indexes)
- 1 point - Experience with writing of scientific papers and reports
- 1 point- Demonstrated ability to work independently
Ignacio Gestoso (pH.D) (OOM-ARDITI)
Natacha Nogueira (Msc) (OOM-ARDITI)
Clemente de Aguiar (Eng) (ARDITI)
The applicants should submit the following documents
- The Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter;
- The contact (email address, professional telephone number, and address) of 1 referees (contacts will not be made without notice);
- Other supporting documents considered relevant for the evaluation of the application.
Note: Incomplete applications will not be considered for evaluation.
Announcement of the results
An email message with the result of the recruitment process will be sent to each applicant.
Application submission and deadline
Deadline for application:
31/12/2019, 17:00 (Lisbon/Madeira Island Time).