In the scope of the CIVITAS DESTINATIONS project, ARDITI is looking for a researcher in the field of Urban Mobility with knowledge and experience on Behavioural change in the context of Urban Mobility.
The selected candidate will have the responsibilities in the work and contribution of ARDITI for the project, in particular under Work Package 6 (Mobility demand management and awareness for sustainable mobility at tourist destinations), on measures: MAD 6.1 (Gamification as a way to induce behavioural change in Mobility) and MAD 6.2 (Green credits: A Business Model for Mobility, Sustainability and Tourism).
CIVITAS DESTINATIONS is a project submitted and approved for the call "MOBILITY for GROWTH 2014-2015 - MG-5.5a-2015 - Demonstrating and testing innovative solutions for cleaner and better urban transport and mobility". It is funded by the European Commission under H2020-EU.3.4. - SOCIETAL CHALLENGES - Smart, Green And Integrated Transport.
Within the EU, and particularly following the economic crisis; tourism will be, the ‘engine for economic growth’, particularly in the underperforming Mediterranean economies; where tourism has traditionally been a dominant economic sector. The world market of tourists continues to grow and Europe has unique selling points for further tourist growth from within and outside the EU (including China).
The competitive market for tourism means that cities have to provide the high quality, sustainable environments desired by tourists, while providing local sustainable employment opportunities that overcome the seasonal and sometimes informal nature of tourist economies. Achieving sustainable mobility is a vital part of the growth equation for Europe’s tourist cities.DESTINATIONS will develop an innovative holistic approach to building sustainable urban mobility systems for both residents and tourists. The project impacts will make a positive contribution to demonstrating how this can achieve growth and therefore provide a benchmark for other EU tourist cities.
DESTINATIONS will demonstrate and evaluate the effectiveness of innovative sustainable mobility solutions in 6 tourist cities with different characteristics but sharing common challenges. The solutions will address:
• Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning for residents and visitors
• Safe, attractive and accessible public spaces for all generations
• Shared mobility and e-infrastructures towards zero emissions transport
• Smart & clean urban freight logistics at tourist destinations
• Mobility management & awareness for sustainable mobility
• Attractive, clean, accessible and efficient public transport
CIVITAS DESTINATIONS will implement a set of mutually reinforcing innovative mobility solutions in six urban laboratory areas, including in Funchal and Madeira region in general. Innovative transport solutions implemented in these pilot areas - which represent the variety of tourist destination typologies - will target the resident, tourist and freight mobility demand with a holistic and integrated planning approach, delivering sustainable mobility strategies and solutions at the destinations and in the countries of origin.
Achieving the objectives will increase the attractiveness of the city, both for tourists and for businesses in the sector and multiplier impacts in the economy for goods and services. All of these will contribute to better social cohesion (which attracts further investment).
The selected researcher will join an interdisciplinary team, including project technicians and staff and researchers from Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI) and ARDITI (Regional Agency for Research, Technological Development and Innovation) working in the fields of Energy, Mobility, Social Networking and HCI in general.
Candidates are required to have an academic degree of PhD in Computer Science and Engineering. Presentation of candidate’s track record of publications in “gamification for urban mobility” and in “service design / business modelling”. Proficient user fluency in English is mandatory (CEFRL C2 level).
WP6 aims at designing, implementing and demonstrating the sites measures targeted for the improvement of mobility demand management and awareness for sustainable mobility at tourist destinations.
The work to be carried by the selected candidate consists in the contribution/participation of ARDITI for the project, in particular for Work Package 6: i) Design and Implementation activities related to measures MAD 6.1 and MAD 6.2, as follows:
To design, implement and demonstrate actions able to achieve behavioural change amongst customers, visitors and stakeholders, based on:
- Stimulation of competition by means of gamification of mobility (Measure MAD 6.1);
- Green credit loyalty schemes (Measure MAD 6.2);
Measure MAD 6.1 (Gamification as a way to induce behavioural change in Mobility):
- Design, implement and test mobility related behavioural change games, including mobile games, simulators and geocaching activities aimed at increasing satisfaction and adoptions levels of existing users for sustainable mobility modes (Public Transport / Bus in particular, but also other modes such as the bicycle), as well as attracting new users by making them experiment and evaluate such alternatives (to predominant private transport);
- Interactive, lively prototype installation at bus stops (one prototype installation to be designed, tested and presented):- The installation of interactive equipment at central/key bus stops will also be used as a mean to increase the liveliness, comfort and attractiveness of those concrete places and Public Transport (PT) as a whole;
- To develop or adapt mobile to promote sustainable mobility, in particular the use of public busses, cycling and walking by means of, for e.g., incorporating dynamics of existing games;
- Promote use of buses and public transport in general with geocaching type of games;
- These tools/platforms will also be used for collecting a database of user feedback and for measure evaluation purposes within the project.
Measure MAD 6.2 (Green credits: A Business Model for Mobility, Sustainability and Tourism):
- Contribution to the design and implementation of a Business Model for "Mobility, Sustainability and Tourism", to be tested and implemented in Madeira and other regions in the project, allowing the operation of an integrated "Green Credit/ Loyalty System";
- All activities tested and implemented under measure MAD 6.1 will be integrated with the overall “Green credits” business model of measure MAD 6.2, thus rewarding users for their participation and engagement in adopting sustainable mobility behaviors and lifestyles.
Related scientific production and publications must acknowledge CIVITAS DESTINATIONS project and included in its reports and deliverables.
Scientific guidance and workplace
The work will be coordinated by Prof. Dr. Nuno Nunes (Scientific coordination).
Workplace will be at M-ITI (Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute), Madeira Island.
1 year, with a perspective of being renewable up to 3 years.
Monthly maintenance stipend for a research fellowship with a Phd degree. (ARDITI stipends and regulations are determined by ‘FCT-Fundação para a Ciência Tecnologia’, as indicated at the URL: http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores.phtml.en).
The jury will select the candidates based on a curricular evaluation and, if necessary, using job professional interviews. The selection criteria is the following:
• Education Background and graduation (40%)
• Technology related skills relevant for the project execution (30%)
• Experience in related tasks (30%)
Dr. Nuno Jardim Nunes;
Dr. Valentina Nisi
Dr. Rui Caldeira
The application must include:
• Letter of introduction, explaining how the candidate covers the requirements;
• CV (Europass) with a photo;
• Copy of all certificates that prove the habilitations mentioned in the CV;
• List of publications in related fields (Gamification in Urban Mobility and Service Design / Business Modelling)
Anouncement of the results
By email to be sent to the candidates.
Application submission and deadline