This call is under the scope of the project “M1420-01-0145-FEDER-000005 - Centro de Química da Madeira - CQM+” cofunded by PROGRAMA OPERACIONAL REGIONAL DA MADEIRA 2014-2020 (MADEIRA 14-20).
CQM+ is a project hosted by ARDITI - Regional Agency for the Development of Research, Technology and Innovation
and has as direct beneficiary the CQM – Centro de Química da Madeira/Madeira Chemistry Research Centre
. The aim of the operation is to strengthen the research and innovation potential of CQM, to increase its critical mass and to strengthen research and innovation in the thematic areas identified as priorities by the Research and Innovation Smart Specialization Strategy of Madeira (RIS3-RAM): "Health and Well-being", "Agro-Food Quality", "Bio-Sustainability" and the "Marine Resources and Technologies".
CQM is a national R&D institution supported and internationally evaluated by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT). The research center is hosted by the University of Madeira
, which is located in Madeira Island
, Portugal. The research center performs world-class research in the fields of Natural Products and Materials and is currently reinforcing its research team with highly motivated and qualified researchers coming from all over the world. The recruited personnel will integrate a young, dynamic, and multicultural team
focused on the development of new solutions for the improvement of human health, agri-food quality, and bio-sustainability (including the sustainable use of marine resources) aimed at improving scientific knowledge and the well-being of the Society. Open Position
This call invites applications for one (1) researcher with a master degree in Sciences (e.g. Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry or related fields) or Computer Science
Presently, 4 calls for researchers with a master degree are open. Interested candidates should only apply for one of these positions
- The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
- CQM is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
Candidates for this position (“Research Grant for Master Degree holder”) should have a master degree in Sciences (e.g. Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry or related fields) or Computer Science. He/she should have a strong motivation to work both independently and as part of a team, very good communication and writing skills and ability to meet deadlines. Experience in web design, JOOMLA platform, Android apps development, cloud connectivity and the application of computational approaches to chemistry/biology problems will be valued. Workplan
The candidate may have the following main specific responsibilities:
Scientific guidance and workplace
- Participation in different research projects under development at CQM giving support at the level of “Computer applications, human-computer interfaces and the internet of things”;
- Support to CQM´s internet website and social networks;
- Preparing reports and financial data;
- Participation in general CQM activities, such as science spreading and conference/course organization.
The successful candidate (M/F) will be integrated into the CQM team and will report directly to Professor João Rodrigues (Head of CQM) assisting him in all the Computer Science aspects and in other related duties.
Workplace will be at CQM - Madeira Chemistry Research Centre
, Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal Duration
The successful candidates are expected to join the CQM team by September 2017. The contract will be for 1 year, renewable up to 3 years. Salary
€980 (Research Grant for Master Degree holders) free of taxes; ARDITI postdoctoral stipend and regulations are determined by ‘FCT-Fundação para a Ciência Tecnologia
’. Evaluation criteria
Candidates will be evaluated and ranked based on their Curriculum Vitae (maximum 60 points) and motivation letter (maximum 30 points). The 3 best-ranked candidates for each position will be invited for interviews (online interviews; maximum 10 points). Selection panel
João Rodrigues (Ph.D.), Pedro Pires (Ph.D.), Nuno Nunes (Ph.D.), Helena Tomás (Ph.D.) (alternate member of the Jury). Application contents
The applicants should submit a single pdf file containing:
- the Curriculum Vitae highlighting the academic/professional achievements;
- a letter explaining the reasons for the application, namely why he/she has the appropriate profile for the position (motivation letter);
- qualification certificates in Portuguese or translated into English and certified;
- the contact (email address, professional telephone number, and address) of 3 referees;
- other supporting documents considered relevant for the evaluation of the application.
Note: Incomplete applications will not be considered for evaluation. Announcement of the results
An email message with the result of the recruitment process will be sent to each applicant. Application submission and deadline
. The specific reference to the call must be indicated in the email subject. The applicants should submit a single pdf file containing all the required documents. Deadline for application
: 02/06/2017, 17:00 (Lisbon/Madeira Island Time).
Note: The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.